- She has a very compact swing pattern from both sides with instant backswing preparation.
- She has a very low base and uses her strong legs for balance and power.
- She stands very close to the baseline because of the previously mentioned items and this allows her to make early contact and puts her opponents on the defense.
- She covers all of the court as well as anyone.
- She is in tip-top shape.
- She hits with very little spin and still has control and depth.
- She also plays great defense and anticipates the path of the ball extremely well.
What does she need to improve on?
- Her second serve needs work.
- She could play with more variety by hitting slices and adding a little more height and spin. This could really help by moving her opponents even further back behind the baseline and will also throw off their rhythm.
- She could come into the net more often. Her ability to take the ball so early gives her this opportunity. This addition could increase her chances of being one of the very best in the world.
Overall, I came away extremely impressed by her. Serena gave everything she had and Li was able to resist and I really feel that if this match went three sets, Li would have won it. If Li continues to play like this I wouldn’t be surprised to see her compete for titles throughout 2010.