SUBSCRIBE TO NEWSLETTER!
 
 
Facebook Social Button Twitter Social Button Follow Us on InstagramYouTube Social Button Follow Me on Pinterest
MagazineNewsBlogsLive ScoresTV ListingsTournamentsVideosInstructionRankingsPlayersPodcasts


By Richard Pagliaro | Wednesday, April 4, 2018

 
INSERT IMAGE ALT TAGS HERE

Novak Djokovic has split with coach Radek Stepanek and confirmed his split with coach Andre Agassi as he tries to snap a three-match losing streak.

Photo credit: Mark Peterson/Corleve

Novak Djokovic continues confronting questions over his health, commitment and results.

Radek Stepanek won't be part of the solution.

More: Nadal Is No. 1 Again, But How Long Can He Stay?

Former world No. 1 Djokovic announced today he's split with former Czech Davis Cup hero Stepanek, his coach of six months.

"The private relationship with Stepanek was and will remain great, and Novak has enjoyed working with him and learning from him," said a post on Djokovic's website. "He remains grateful and appreciative of all the support he has received from Radek during the last period."

Djokovic also confirmed he parted company with coach Andre Agassi.

"The cooperation between Novak and Andre Agassi has also ended," said the final sentence of the statement on Djokovic's website.

Hall of Famer Agassi announce their split in a statement to ESPN on Friday.

"With only the best intentions I tried to help Novak," Agassi said. "We far too often found ourselves agreeing to disagree. I wish him only the best moving forward."

It is believed Agassi opposed Djokovic returning to action a month-and-a-half after undergoing the elbow procedure.

Djokovic and Stepanek, who are good friends and former practice partners, initially announced their partnership last November.




The 12-time Grand Slam champion is scheduled to play the Monte-Carlo Rolex Masters later this month, though he did not confirm participation in today's announcement.

"Djokovic will upon his short holiday with a family start his preparations for the clay season and upcoming tournaments," the statement on Djokovic's website said.

It's been a challenging season for the 30-year-old Serbian, who has not won a Grand Slam title since capturing the 2016 Roland Garros to complete the career Grand Slam.

Djokovic fell to Hyeon Chung in straight sets in the Australian Open round of 16 following a six-month absence from the tour due to a nagging right elbow injury.

After Melbourne, Djokovic took five weeks off to undergo a "medical procedure" on his right elbow.

In his return to tennis after a six-week sabbatical, Djokovic fell to 109th-ranked Japanese qualifier Taro Daniel at Indian Wells.

Daniel reeled off five consecutive games stunning five-time champion Djokovic, 7-6 (3), 4-6, 6-1, to spoil the Serbian’s return. It was Djokovic's worst Masters loss in a decade.

Benoit Paire snapped Djokovic's 16-match Miami winning streak with an opening-round sweep last month that left the world No. 13 conceding nothing is working at the moment.

"I mean, I'm trying, but it's not working. That's all," Djokovic said. "That's all it is. I mean, obviously I'm not feeling great when I'm playing this way. Of course, I want to be able to play as well as I want to play. Just it's impossible at the moment. That's all."

After his Miami departure, Djokovic said he planned to play Monte-Carlo, but added "let's see what happens", conceding he's adrift.

"I don't know what to expect," Djokovic said. "I'm not expecting anything. Obviously I'm facing myself with various challenges in my game, health. I'm trying to figure things out and see what happens."

 

Latest News