SUBSCRIBE TO NEWSLETTER!
 
 
Facebook Social Button Twitter Social Button Follow Us on InstagramYouTube Social Button Follow Me on Pinterest
NewsVideosLive ScoresTV ListingsTournamentsRankingsLucky Letcord PodcastMagazine


By Chris Oddo | Wednesday April 1, 2020

 
Wimbledon

Wimbledon has cancelled the 2020 Championships due to Coronavirus, and the tours are now suspended until at least July 13.

Photo Source: July 13

It’s official.

Wimbledon has officially called off the 2020 Championships due to the Coronavirus pandemic.

“It is with great regret that the Main Board of the All England Club (AELTC) and the Committee of Management of The Championships have today decided that The Championships 2020 will be cancelled due to public health concerns linked to the coronavirus epidemic,” the tournament said in a statement. “The 134th Championships will instead be staged from 28 June to 11 July 2021.”


Wimbledon will miss a year for the first time since 1945, when the world was still reeling from World War II.

"It has weighed heavily on our minds that the staging of The Championships has only been interrupted previously by World Wars but, following thorough and extensive consideration of all scenarios, we believe that it is a measure of this global crisis that it is ultimately the right decision to cancel this year’s Championships, and instead concentrate on how we can use the breadth of Wimbledon’s resources to help those in our local communities and beyond," Ian Hewitt, AELTC Chairman, said.

Additionally, the WTA and ATP Tours have jointly announced that all summer grass-court events have been cancelled and the tour is no officially shut down until at least July 13.

“In conjunction with the cancellation of The Championships, Wimbledon, the ATP and WTA have jointly announced the continued suspension of the ATP and WTA Tours until July 13, 2020, due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic,” the tours said in a statement. “In addition to Wimbledon, the suspension covers the entirety of the ATP/WTA European grass court swing, including ATP events in ‘s-Hertogenbosch, Stuttgart, London-Queen’s, Halle, Mallorca, Eastbourne, as well as WTA events in ‘s-Hertogenbosch, Nottingham, Birmingham, Berlin, Eastbourne and Bad Homburg.”

The statement says that events beyond July 13 are still planning to go on as scheduled.


The US Open released a separate statement, saying that it is still planning to hold the event, which is slated to begin in late August.

“At this time the USTA still plans to host the US Open as scheduled, and we continue to hone plans to stage the tournament,” the US Open said in an emailed statement. “The USTA is carefully monitoring the rapidly-changing environment surrounding the Covid-19 pandemic, and is preparing for all contingencies.”

 

Latest News