By Erik Gudris / Thursday, September 26, 2013
Marin Cilic denied recent reports that he faked injury at this year's Wimbledon after he tested positive for a banned substance earlier in the season.
The ITF reports that Marin Cilic faked injury during this year's Wimbledon following positive results from a
(Photo Credit: Zagreb ATP)
The Croatian star received a nine-month ban from the ITF after he admitted he ingested a banned glucose supplement by mistake at the Monte-Carlo event.
READ - Cilic Faked Injury To Avoid Bad Publicity Per ITF
In a statement to AFP, Cilic said he could not go into specific details since he is appealing the ban to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS), but that he wanted to "address certain media reports which have suggested that I feigned an injury at Wimbledon."
Cilic said the knee injury that forced him to pull out of his first round match at Wimbledon developed prior to the start of the tournament.
"It no longer made any sense for me to risk causing my knee a more serious injury and to deprive someone else the opportunity of playing deeper into the tournament," Cilic said.
Cilic's provisional ban from competing will end in January 2014 pending any appeals.
Follow Erik Gudris on Twitter @ATNtennis