(January 15, 2013) -- Though she first appeared on tennis radars last year, America's Jamie Hampton is gaining more attention this week at the 2013 Australian Open. Learn more about this rising player who is now at a career-high ranking.
1. From Germany to Georgia: Hampton was born on a U.S. Army base in Frankfurt, Germany on January 8th, 1990. She grew up in Auburn, Alabama, but now resides in Atlanta, Georgia.
2. Early Years: Hampton got her first taste of the sport while watching it on TV. Her father, who played tennis in high school, offered to teach his daughter how to play.
3. Wrist Woes: Hampton suffered a wrist injury at age 15 and dealt with it for several years. She had surgery at 19 to correct the problem. (Source: WTA.com)
4. Best Year Ever: After several years playing ITF events and then on the main tour, Hampton had her first top 100 season in 2012. She reached the quarters of Osaka, the fourth round of Indian Wells and the second round at both Melbourne and Wimbledon.
5. Radwanska Rival: Hampton has played both Radwanska sisters and tested both of them. She pushed Agnieszka Radwanska to three sets at Indian Wells last year before Hampton had to retire in the match due to cramping. In Auckland a few weeks ago, Hampton reached the semifinals and lost to Radwanska in two tiebreak sets. In Melbourne this week, she upset No. 31 seed Urzsula Radwanska 6-2, 6-4 to reach the second round.
6. Career High: As of this week, Hampton is at a career high ranking of No. 63. She is now the sixth-highest ranked American woman in the WTA.
7. In Her Own Words: When asked to describe her style of play, Hampton at Indian Wells last year said, "I think I can do a little bit of everything. I can play offense; I can play defense; I can take time away; I can serve well. I can return well; I have a backup plan if Plan A is not working."
8. Idol Worship: Hampton cites Roger Federer and David Nalbandian as the players she most looked up to while growing up.
9. Aussie Acolades: Hampton cites the Australian Open as her favorite tournament and the place for her favorite moment on tour when she reached the second round last year.
10. Next Match: Hampton will face Thailand's Luksika Kumkhum in the second round at Melbourne.
(Photo Credit: Mark Peterson/Corleve)