(September 24, 2012) -- While his many fans are likely hoping for a speedy recovery, Rafael Nadal in a new interview revealed he is in no rush to return to the courts as he continues to recover from an ongoing knee injury.
Speaking as part of a promotional campaign for "PokerStars’ Rafa’s Dream Day" where fans can win a chance to meet Nadal in Majorca, the reigning French Open champion could not guarantee the exact date when he would return but wants to be at a 100% when he does.
"We'll see how things develop in the next few weeks but my priority is to recover well, not quickly but well," Nadal told Reuters. "I will return to the court when I feel that the knee no longer gives me any pain, whether that is in two weeks or in three or four."
Nadal, who has been out of action since losing to Lukas Rosol in the second round of Wimbledon, admitted that he had been on anti-inflammatories during his run to his seventh Roland Garros title to deal with the pain of his knee injury that was later diagnosed as a partial tear of the patella tendon.
But despite his recent setback, Nadal expressed confidence he can resume the form that took him to No. 1 in the world along with winning eleven Major titles.
"I am 26 years old and I am confident I have plenty of years ahead. What I want is to recover well and to continue enjoying tennis and competition, which is what make me happy right now."
Nadal also expressed praise for Andy Murray just winning the U.S. Open in New York. Nadal believes Murray's change in mentality on court is the key reason for the Scot's recent success.
"Andy is a player with an impressive talent and I always said he would win a slam, not just one he'll win more than one."
|(File Photo: Rafael Nadal at the 2011 Western & Southern Open; Credit: Andy Kentla)