By Chris Oddo | Sunday, August 31, 2014
Tweeners of the bum, flying forehands and upset specials: Week one of the US Open had something for everybody.
Photo Source: Getty
It was a wild, crazy week one of the US Open. Don’t believe us? Well, read on and check out what was moving the needle during the first week of the final Slam of 2014.
1. Nobody was more surprised about her success in New York than Aleksandra Krunic herself. She told Mary Joe Fernandez that she didn’t think she was going to beat Petra Kvitova after she pulled one of the upsets of the tournament on Day 6.
2. Serena started slowly on Saturday, but eventully the “Come On’s” came.
3. Victoria Azarenka was soaring back in the direction of her potential in New York. Can she keep it up in week two?
4. Rumor has it that the parents of this nine-year-old girl paid Boris Becker’s remaining 2014 salary for this small “favor” that Novak did her. (Just kidding! Love you, Novak!)
5. I want to wake up in a city that never sleeps (and one that appears to be on fire!). Great shot…
6. That’s our Jo! Getting ready for a MASSIVE quarterfinal with Andy Murray. Should be a cracker.
7. Speaking of surprises, CiCi Bellis’s arrival on the scene was certainly a pleasant one. What will the future hold for the young Californian?
8. One of the more special moments of week one came when 34-year-old Victor Estrella Burgos reached the third round at his third career major.
9. The fans make it all possible. Maria gets it.
10. Gael, hitting a leaping, 100 MPH forehand winner. Just because.
11. Stan: “I just want to thank the fans for the incredible atmosphere, except for the one guy that seriously needed to shut up.
12. Tomas Berdych was a bird of prey in week one…
13. I guess we score that as a forced error for Caro…
14. Poor Sloane. We love to beat her up for every loss, don’t we?
15. Can you elaborate Boris? Is it the overhead technique. Please tell us it’s the overhead technique.
16. Roger has hit a lot of great shots, but never one like this. Didn’t we tell you it was a crazy week in New York?