By Chris Oddo | Friday, August 1, 2014
Rafa in a cast, Roger up to his elbows in new racquets, and Jelena jankovic's unconvential fitness training. It's all in this week's #MediaMash.
Photo Source: Jelena Jankovic/Instagram
Whaddyaknow, things were heating up in the tennis world this week. For the first time it really felt like the North American hard-court season was on, with big events in Stanford and D.C. Unfortunately, with Rafael Nadal and Li Na being forced to the sideline due to injury, it was a bit of a sad week, too. But, as always, the intrepid tennis fan marches on.
Here’s what moved the needle on social media this week:
1. Rafa was bumming, having his wrist in a splint and all—but damn was he looking cool while doing so. Like those shades on him…
2. He’s 32 with four kids, but that doesn’t ever seem to dampen Roger Federer’s enthusiasm for life and tennis. I guess a brand new racquet, designed specifically for your superhuman needs doesn’t hurt?
3. Ah, the good old days when the Americans ruled the roost.
4. Ah, the harsh reality of American men’s tennis today. The top-ranked guy isn’t even considered showcourt worthy.
5. We don’t know about you guys, but for us all it takes is a picture of Grigor Dimitrov to get excited about watching next week’s Rogers Cup action!
6. Galina Voskoboeva is quite the style maven. The women knows how to do summer.
7. It was not a good week for Agneiszka Radwanska in Stanford, as she was upset by Varvara Lepchenko in her first match on NATIONAL CHEESECAKE DAY. Oh, the injustice of it all. And, while wearing polkadots, no less.
8. Is JJ trying out for the San Diego Chargers?
8b. Whatever she is doing, we wholeheartedly support it…
9. Sabine lost the match, but she smashed the heck out of the WTA’s all-time fastest serve record, so there’s that.
10. It was love at first forehand. Or something like that…
11. (Because this one goes to 11) How about that? You go, coach Diego!