Lucky Loser Ruzic Reaches Dubai QF as Rybakina Retires
By Richard Pagliaro | Wednesday, February 18, 2026
Photo credit: Lintao Zhang/Getty
Top players continue to fall from the Dubai draw and a lucky loser has emerged as a big winner.
Lucky loser Antonia Ruzic led top-seeded Elena Rybakina 5-7, 6-4, 1-0 when the Australian Open champion retired due to apparent nausea-related illness and fatigue.

After calling for the tournament doctor in a medical timeout, Rybakina said “I’m going to stop.”
Then, the top seed walked to net to shake Ruzic’s hand.
“I was surprised because I didn’t notice any signs that she wasn’t feeling well,” Ruzic said. “It’s obviously not the way you want to win but I’m happy that I’m through.
“It’s a crazy story that I got in as a lucky loser and now I’m at this stage, sometimes you just have to take your second chances and I’ve been playing like I’ve got nothing to lose.”
World No. 67 Ruzic scored her second win over a Grand Slam champion in this Dubai draw following her 6-1, 5-7, 6-2 opening-round victory over 2021 US Open champion Emma Raducanu.
The 23-year-old Ruzic will face either former Olympic gold-medal champion Belinda Bencic or AO semifinalist Elina Svitolina for a semifinal spot.
Two-time Grand Slam champion Rybakina’s retirement makes her the latest star to depart the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships draw.
The world’s top two-ranked players, No. 1 Aryna Sabalenka and No. 2 Iga Swiatek, withdrew before the tournament began. Doha champion Karolina Muchova, Doha finalist Victoria Mboko, Doha semifinalist Maria Sakkari and Olympic gold-medal champion Zheng Qinwen also all withdrew from Dubai.
“The season is really long, so it’s important to pace yourself,” Ruzic said. “Every player is different so it’s about doing things that suit your needs.
“We have seen a lot of withdrawals here which is disappointing, I’ve only had one week off so far this year, so I know how challenging it is for everyone.”













Post Comment