SUBSCRIBE TO NEWSLETTER!
 
 
Facebook Social Button Twitter Social Button Follow Us on InstagramYouTube Social Button Follow Me on Pinterest
NewsVideosLive ScoresTV ListingsTournamentsRankingsLucky Letcord PodcastMagazine

Popular This Week

Net Notes - A Tennis Now Blog

Net Posts

Industry Insider - A Tennis Now Blog

Industry Insider

Second Serve - A Tennis Now Blog

Second Serve

 

Djokovic Under Investigation for Immigration Inaccuracy


By Richard Pagliaro | Tuesday, January 11, 2022

Novak Djokovic committed an entry error that could result in his expulsion from Australia.

More: Djokovic on Visa Victory

Australian Border officials are investigating if Djokovic intentionally lied when filling out his immigration entry form.

Photos from AFP and Getty show the world No. 1 checked the "No" box on his entry form when asked if he had travelled in the 14 days prior to arriving in Australia.

However social media photos and video show Djokovic playing tennis in the streets of Belgrade on or about December 25th. Djokovic was then in Marbella, Spain practicing before taking a flight from Dubai to Melbourne.

The 34-year-old Serbian would have had to be in Spain from about December 22nd in order to comply with Australia's no travel for 14 days law prior to arrival. Based on social media photos, it appears that was not the case.

Novak Djokovic

Novak Djokovic

Travelers landing in Australia are asked on the nation's entry form if they have “travelled or will travel in the 14 days prior to your flight to Australia." That question is accompanied by a warning: “Giving false or misleading information is a serious offence. You may also be liable to a civil penalty for giving false or misleading information.”

Australian Border Force is investigating the nine-time AO champion's seemingly incorrect answer to that question.

On Monday, Djokovic scored a major visa victory in his bid to remain in Australia and play for a men's record 21st Grand Slam title.

Federal Circuit Court Judge Anthony Kelly reinstated Djokovic’s visa, which was revoked after he arrived in Melbourne last week because Australia’s Border Force said he didn’t meet the nation’s medical exemption requirement that all non-citizens must be fully vaccinated to enter.

After Judge Kelly ruled in Djokovic’s favor and ordered the government to release him from the immigration hotel where he spent four controversial nights, the government’s lawyer said the Serbian could still be cancelled.

Government attorney Christopher Tran told the court Australia’s immigration minister Alex Hawke “will consider whether to exercise a personal power of cancellation.”

If Australia’s immigration minister opts to cancel Djokovic’s visa, then he’d not only miss this month’s Australian Open, he could be banned from the nation for three years.

Given the fact Djokovic appeared in public maskless after contracting COVID-19 on December 16th (according to social media images) and he's now seemingly provided misinformation on his entry form will Immigration Minister Hawke rule Djokovic is an unreliable health danger, revoke his visa and boot him from the country?

Embed from Getty Images

A spokesman for Hawke told Fox Sports Australia, the Immigration Minister is "thoroughly" considering the case before deciding whether to cancel Djokovic's visa.

“As noted yesterday in the Federal Circuit and Family Court, Minister Hawke is considering whether to cancel Mr Djokovic’s visa under section 133c (3) of the Migration Act,” a spokesperson for Hawke said. “In line with due process, Minister Hawke will thoroughly consider the matter.

“As the issue is ongoing, for legal reasons, it is inappropriate to comment further."

A decision is expected soon as the Australian Open starts on January 17th with the draw set for January 13th.

While this latest twist in the ongoing Djokovic saga plays out, the world No. 1 was practicing at Melbourne Park and Australian and Serbian government officials were reportedly discussing the case.

Photo credits: Getty/AFP


Posted: