SUBSCRIBE TO NEWSLETTER!
 
 
Facebook Social Button Twitter Social Button Follow Us on InstagramYouTube Social Button Follow Me on Pinterest
NewsVideosLive ScoresTV ListingsTournamentsRankingsLucky Letcord PodcastMagazine


By Chris Oddo | @TheFanChild | Monday May 31, 2021

 
Naomi Osaka

Naomi Osaka withdrew from Roland-Garros on Monday, ending a strange few days that began with a boycott of the press.

Photo Source: Getty

Naomi Osaka's decision to boycott the press has arrived at the worst possible outcome at Roland-Garros. Osaka announced on social media that she is withdrawing from the tournament.

Tennis Express

"I think now the best thing for the tournament, the other players and my well being is that I withdraw so that everyone can go back to focusing on the tennis going on in paris,” she posted. "I never wanted to be a distraction and I accept that my timing was not ideal and my message could have been clearer."


Osaka, who won a round in Paris on Sunday, was the center of a controversy that had been escalating ever since she announced that she would not be talking to the press in Paris.

The four Grand Slams released a statement on Sunday, condemning her actions and threatening repercussions.

Osaka indicated that all is not well when it comes to her mental health.

“The truth is that I have suffered long bouts of depression since the US Open in 2018 and I have had a really hard time coping with that," she wrote. "Anyone that knows me knows that I’m introverted, and anyone that has seen me at the tournaments will notice that I’m often wearing headphones as that helps dull my social anxiety.”

Osaka says she will need some time off.

“I’m gonna take some time away from the court now, but when the time is right, I really want to work with the Tour to discuss ways we can make things better for the players, press and fans," she concluded.

French Tennis Federation president Gilles Morreton said the tournament officials feel "sad" for Osaka and called the situation "unfortunate."

"First and foremost, we are sorry and sad for Naomi Osaka," the FFT president said. "The outcome of Naomi withdrawing from Roland Garros is unfortunate.

"We wish her the best and the quickest possible recovery. We look forward to having Naomi in our tournament next year."

 

Latest News